Title photo
frugal technology, simple living and guerrilla large-appliance repair
home > 2013 > 06 > 11
Tue, 11 Jun 2013

Slight tweak in my Ode site's Logic theme for 'standard' links in post titles

One of the features of the Ode blogging system's links in post titles in the default Logic theme is that they lead not to the individual entry page but to the portion of the page including all of the relevant day's posts that includes the entry whose link is being clicked.

That's a complicated way of saying that the title links look like this:

http://stevenrosenberg.net/blog/2013/06/11/#2013_0611_hostgator

I wanted to see how the blog would work when clicking on the title of a post leads to a page that just includes that individual post itself.

By that, I mean this:

http://stevenrosenberg.net/blog/web_hosting/2013_0611_hostgator

That is the same result you'd get by clicking the Permalink tag at the bottom of each entry.

It was as easy as copying the permalink tag and replacing the original title tag in the page.html file in my current version of Ode's Logic theme.

It's a small change. Not a big deal at all. But it's so easy to do in Ode. Just about every part of the system is a text file that most users can understand and modify. So I figured I'd do it and see how it worked.

Read the rest of this post

HostGator moved me to a new server, and everything's working

HostGator emailed me recently about moving my shared-hosting account to a new server and a new version of the CentOS Linux distribution.

The move happened. Everything seems to be working. There were some changes in my DNS servers, but nothing broke. I had to change the URL I use to access my webmail over ssl.

I do have a new ssh key, which my FTP client prompted me to accept. And so I did.

Since everything is working, I haven't checked the DNS servers on my domains.

I give HostGator a whole lot of credit here because the only thing I had to change was my browser bookmark for accessing my secure webmail.

I don't remember which version of CentOS I was using before, but now it's 6.4. The version of Perl (5.8.8) didn't seem to change. PHP is up to 5.3.24. My OwnCloud test site works.

So I guess it was just the matter of retiring old hardware and bringing up new on the part of HostGator. They kept me informed, and all is well.