Title photo
frugal technology, simple living and guerrilla large-appliance repair
Fri, 18 Mar 2016

Radio Boulevard

The Radio Boulevard web site looks like hell, but the vintage-radio content is very, very golden http://www.radioblvd.com/

Rebulding an R-390A military receiver

Great page on rebuilding an R-390A, the holy grail of surplus military receivers http://www.radioblvd.com/R-390A%20Rebuild.htm

Thu, 17 Mar 2016

2 posts, 1 timestamp - dlvr.it doesn't like that

Key to getting dlvr.it to work well with Ode: don't upload without setting Indexette timestamps locally (and staggering by at least a minute)

I have been wet shaving

I have been 'wet shaving' with a safety razor and one of those brushes (no badger!) That is all.

Nearly 3 years with one laptop, one Fedora installation

I have been running the same Fedora installation, upgraded from F18 to 23, for nearly 3 years on this HP Pavilion g6 laptop

I am working on lots of programming at once

I am studying C++, working on Perl code for my blog and now coding a simple JavaScript web app pretty much all at once

Thu, 10 Mar 2016

K8IQY's QRP Rigs: "Hardware Defined Radios"

K8IQY's #QRP Rigs: "Hardware Defined Radios" http://www.k8iqy.com/qrprigs/QRPRigs.htm

Tue, 08 Mar 2016

I learned a couple of things about Ode add-ins (and Perl in general) today

I've been having trouble with my Ode Counter add-in.

I have been using File::Find to gather filesystem information and make it available to Ode, and I learned two things.

1) The Ode add-in framework allows the passing of scalar variable data from add-in to non-post areas of the site, but it doesn't allow passing of arrays. This is easy enough to work around. You just convert the array to a scalar. There is more than one way to do this, but I chose this one:

$directory_list = join('', @directory_list_array);

2) Producing acceptable HTML out of the add-in is one thing, but for it to transfer properly to the Ode site, all the usual characters must be "escaped" on the server side:

Instead of:

<li><a href="/blog/programming/perl/">Programming > Perl</a></li>

It must be:

<li><a href=\"\/blog\/programming\/perl\/\">Programming > Perl<\/a><\/li>

Once I fix my regex, I'll be in business.