So I haven’t even looked at this Hugo-driven site in more than a year. Today the thought entered my mind. I went to the main Hugo site, grabbed a new binary, stuck it in my /usr/local/bin, got a new redlounge theme, dropped that in, made a few configuration changes suggested in the theme’s readme, regenerated the site, and I am off to the proverbial races.
I discovered today that a guy named Tom Maiaroto, who uses Hugo to blog about go, created the redlounge theme I’m using on this Hugo-generated blog. It’s the best-looking (and -working) theme that shipped with Hugo at the time I started using it. So thanks, Tom, for the theme and for writing about go.
It’s been awhile since I wrote a Hugo entry in this blog. I haven’t exactly had a whole lot of time to play with Hugo, what with my new 5 a.m. shift (yes, I start working at 5 a.m.). But I did have a little time, during which I figured out two things: Setting up rsync to update this Hugo site Getting the blog title to appear in HTML on the site I won’t go into detail now (though I will later).
I’m not quite up to figuring out how to host this Hugo site on GitHub pages, so for the time being it’s living on my Hostgator site and getting there via FTP. FTP isn’t a great way to do this because it’s hard to separate the changed files from all the rest. I don’t have a great understanding of how Hugo deals with updates. Since the entire site is being generated every time you add content, I’m assuming that all of the files get new timestamps with every build.
This HTML has been created with a program called Hugo that is written in the Go programming language and compiled into a binary. The files use Markdown for formatting, and the blog is built using static HTML files. Things I have to figure out now include how/where to put images, how/where to host this HTML and how to get those files from here to there.